Saturday, August 30, 2008

Accepted in the IVF Club!

The suppression check went good. Was hard to tell at first during the ultrasound. My re kept asking about if my cycles were normal or not, which they never have been. So, long story short, the Lupron shots I've been taking has been doing what it was supposed to. That means I was doing the shot right after all. I knew it was going in, but it is weird to me that you stick it either in your thigh or tummy & it makes your ovaries "sleep". Strange. I got the green light on that side, then it was off to get blood work to make sure my estrogen was where it should be. I met with Fran, my IVF boss-lady & she gave me my schedule. My dosage hasn't changed from what they originally planned, but they started me on Saturday night(that is tonight...YIKES!) instead of Friday night. They are trying to make my schedule the same as my re so I can see her face instead of someone Else's. They only gave me my dosage for 3 days cause they are making me come in every other day to check my progress. Since I have PCOS, the stimulants I start taking tonight can make you over produce, which is called Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome or OHSS for short. It is when too many follicles develop & then your ovaries begin to swell & enlarged. Severe cases, your ovaries stretch to 10cm or larger, you become sick, then fluid can get backed up in your chest & abdominal cavity. This happens in around 1% of people. And that is the severe cases. I am happy they are keeping such a close eye on me, but it is not that much fun driving in downtown Seattle traffic in the mornings.
I got the call later in the day & my estrogen was at 24.7, which she said was perfect. Yes, she said perfect. Hey, I will take whatever compliment I can get in regards to my body & what it is doing!
Tonight is my first shot at mixing the Menopur. I am nervous as hell about it, cause it seems so complicated & the needle is larger then the current one I use, so that will be interesting. The Follistim I am not worried about, cause it doesn't use a needle, it uses a pen. That one I am OK with. I will do that one first I think because I have a feeling the mixing of the other drug, will take me some time to figure out. It kinda sucks cause Jason is over visiting his dad, & I would like to have a 2Nd pair of eyes helping me out. But I am sure once I get it all straight, I will get the hang of it. I hope. If not, you will hear me screaming in frustration. I know I say this in every post, but this is all moving so fast. I am getting anxious. I wanna see what my eggs look like. I wanna see that picture of the ones they transfer. I am excited. Not too excited, cause this is still the beginning stages, but I find myself in a very fortunate position. Thankful I have supportive friends & family, that our insurance pays 80% of this, thankful for finally finding an re that actually wants to see me get knocked up, & thankful that no matter what happens with this cycle, I get to have a photo of them in the earliest stages of life. How magical is that? I know there is debate out there about mixing "Science" & nature, it is something I struggled with myself, but when I see the bigger picture, the whole process is a blessing. The fact that we have this kind of option is amazing. I am sure all the people who have to go this route would rather not & do it naturally. I think for me, I've been at this off & on for a few years now, & it sucks, but I am appreciating it so much more then if I got knocked up naturally. If I am blessed enough to have a child through this, I will look at him or her or them ( u never know, might be more than one) & know how hard I fought for them & that will just make me love them more & appreciate them that much more & thank god everyday that they are in my life. I'll post tomorrow about how the new shots went!! Keep your fingers crossed I do it right.

No comments: