Friday, August 8, 2008

Injections 101

Yesterday was our class. There were 3 other couples in our group. I must say, & it probably isn't nice, but Bubs' & I were the youngest in the group. That was a boost for me! Doesn't guarantee that our outcome will be different from theirs. But I was nervous about who all would be in our group, what they looked like, how old they were, etc. We watched a 20 minute video & I took lots of notes like a good girl. Then our nurse came in with a tub full of stuff. The first shot I begin with will be a piece of cake. Use a small insulin needle & the dosage is very small. I will post more on that later. Then, it moves onto the mixing of the injections. Makes me wish I paid way more attention in chemistry class. I have an idea of what to do, but thankfully we can bring those in before we take them, & the staff will help us. So confusing about what needle goes with what syringe, what needle to use to mix this, this needle can only go here, blah,blah,blah..... Information overload for sure. I am going to take the nurses' advice, only leave out what you are currently taking, keep everything else hidden away so you don't get overwhelmed. And of course call if you have any questions. I am happy that the first shots will be o.k. I can totally handle that one. It can go either in your tummy below the belly button or in your upper thigh. I've got plenty of "cushion" on either area, but I am going to take it in the tummy. I can see that better. And not that I walk around in short shorts all the time, I like knowing my "track marks" will be hidden by a shirt. No doubt about it this has been one long journey, but what amazes me the most is how much I've grown. Never ever did I believe I would give myself injections for anything. Now look at me! So the countdown begins, one week from this Sunday, I put my new knowledge to the test!

1 comment:

Christia said...

It's coming up Amy! i'm thinking about you!